The holiday season is a great time to vacation in a tropical destination. School is out for a long winter break and the temperatures are hovering near freezing. With Belize just a few short hours away from many flight hubs in North America, you can bring your celebration to a warmer climate. You might think that the lack of snow would coincide with a lack of holiday spirit. But that’s not the case! Read on to get a small taste of what to expect when celebrating Christmas in Belize.
Christmas in Ambergris Caye
The small island community goes all out at Christmas. With a giant tree in Central park, lights and decorations in every storefront and many homes, you won’t even miss the snow. You might even see a snowman made out of sand on the beach! Tropical Christmas trees or decorated palm trees are the norm. And don’t forget the holiday music! You’ll hear all of the traditional favorites, with an island twist.
Holiday Events in San Pedro
Throughout the month of December, there are many festivities to take part of. New ones are added each year, but these are the annual favorites. If you are vacationing during this time, make sure to check some of these out. You’ll find a mix of locals, expats and other travelers.
- Lighted boat parade- This small parade goes along the coast of San Pedro Town in the evening, usually mid-month in December.
- Love FM Christmas parade- Put on by a local news outlet, this is a crowd favorite. Winding through the streets of San Pedro, you’ll see lighted floats, marching bands, performers and, of course, Santa!
- Dining specials- Many restaurants and resorts will offer special holiday meals. Reservations are encouraged, especially for Christmas Eve and Christmas day.
- Truck Stop holiday craft fair & Christmas tree lighting- This popular food court and hang out spot always puts on a good holiday celebration.
- Christmas church services- No need to skip church services on your vacation if they are a part of your holiday tradition. Join a local congregation to celebrate the season.
- Christmas tree lighting in Central Park- This park is centrally located in San Pedro and has a large tree each year. Join the community for the big tree lighting ceremony.
Special Holiday Food
Never mind the gifts; it’s the food that is the real star of the holidays. Belize has many food traditions and Christmastime is a great feast. Traditionally, many families would enjoy ham and turkey, a specialty reserved for Christmas. Tamales are another Christmas food tradition that is often prepared. Cakes, homemade coconut candies and other confections are also made.
Weather in December and January
While Belizeans may describe the weather in December as, “cool,” it’s all relative. For a tropical country, this means nighttime temps in the 60’s and enjoyable sunny days in the 80’s. Occasional rain showers are possible, but they move on quickly. The weather this time of year is generally favorable and well suited for the many tours and excursions available in Belize. For more on weather throughout the year and the many holidays celebrated in Belize, click here.
In addition to Christmas Day, December 26th is celebrated as a public and bank holiday, Boxing Day. This is generally a relaxing day off work for Belizeans, and a continuation of the celebration. Enjoy a tropical holiday in Ambergris Caye and start a new tradition in the tropics! Happy Holidays!