How to choose a travel insurance plan?
Use the tips below to review, compare and select the right travel insurance plan for you. As there are different types of travel and destinations, policies vary as well. Be sure to understand what is and isn’t covered in a given plan.
- Consider the type of trip you are taking- is it a family vacation? What activities will you be doing and which people will your plan need to cover?
- There are different coverage levels available. Look through the plan, the insurance company, and the deductible. Be sure to review each component to understand what the plan covers.
- Choose a plan with the least amount of exclusions, covering you for the unexpected. Some exclusions are acts of God, natural disasters, acts of war or terrorism.
- Compare insurance plans and costs with sites like Insure My Trip and SquareMouth.
- For travel in Belize, look for a plan that covers the following. Car rental insurance, trip cancellation or interruption, medical evacuation, medical expense, lost baggage.
Where to buy an insurance plan?
The most cost-effective travel insurance is available online through an insurance company. You can also buy through an airline or travel agent, though you may pay more there. There may be discounts available. Look into travel insurance through your pre-existing insurance provider (home, car, life, etc). or you may Or you may find it as an add-on with select credit cards. Check with your current provider to see what travel insurance plans they offer.
Benefits of purchasing travel insurance?
While it may seem like an unnecessary step in trip planning, there are some very real benefits. Purchasing a solid travel insurance plan for your Belize vacation can cover:
- Reimbursement for the non-refunded part of a trip for a covered reason
- 24/7 access to emergency medical consultation and referral
- Reimbursement for unexpected travel expenses. For example, lost luggage, damage to a rental vehicle or medical emergencies.
- Coverage should you experience travel delays
- Emergency medical transportation in the event of an injury or illness
Why should you buy travel insurance?
As with any insurance, you buy travel insurance hoping that you never need to use it. But with it comes peace of mind. Below are examples of common issues that travel insurance can assist with.
- Illness or injury
- Trip Cancellation
- Lost passport
- Delayed or lost luggage
- Hurricane damages your destination
Take time before your trip to research travel insurance. This can save priceless time and energy during your trip by planning ahead. Not to mention unforeseen expenses should you need assistance. Having a solid travel insurance plan in place before you leave home is one of the most important To-Dos on your vacation list. Use these guidelines to secure a plan for your next trip and leave your worries behind you.